Friday, March 17, 2006

Whether Or Not To Censure Bush

I'm finally deciding to write about this. It's been a few days, and at first, I didn't know what to think about Sen. Russ Feingold's (D-Wis) resolution to censure President Bush. I think I've come to a decision. While I'm not overly enthustiastic for it, I think that this should be pursued.

The censure resolution is being introduced due to President Bush's failure to report wire-tapping to the FISA court. President Bush did not do this on a whim. I'm sure the President could have allotted 72 hours for an emergengy submission. Actually, it was only a 24 time limit, but the President himself changed it to 72.

Many people do support the wire-tappings. In some cases, I support it, too. However, whether people supported it or not, what the President did was illegal. And people who break the law need to be punished.

A censure, as defined by Mirriam-Webster OnLine, is the "act of condemning sternly" or an "official reprimand". This is what the President deserves for his actions, even if they were meant well and for National Security purposes. Besides, a censure, if I understand it correctly, technically carries any weight. It's simply a stern warning.

Sen. Bill Frist (R-Ten), the Senate Majority Leader, has publically cme out against the motion.

Actually, I'm suprised that no one has introduced a censure against the president over the war in Iraq. The disapproval numbers on that issue are WAY lower than the numbers on the wire-tapping. Some have recommended impeaching President Bush. I still don't know where I stand on that, though. On one hand, I really don't want to have to listen to another impeachment trial. On the other hand, he REALLY screwed up on Iraq.

Back to the censure, I think it has merit to an extent, but I'm not sure Congress has the guts to persue this. But, as I've said before, only time will tell in politics.

To read more about the censure, go to:
http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/Politics/story?id=1715495&page=1

-Adam

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dems not too smart on this one. They should have lined up behind Feingold. Cowards!

Unknown said...

I agree...

In response to your picture there, I'm not ready to support a Bush impeachment, yet. But things could change. Several factors, including the 2006 Elections, could sway me, though.

Anonymous said...

I'm caught between both sides of the argument.

Our Constituion guaranteed the freedom from unlawful search and seizure. The wiretaps were unlawfull because they were not approved by a warrant or one of the exigent circumstances that are recognized by the Supreme Court.

To impeach Mr. Bush they would have to show he had full knowlege that his actions were illegal. He could have been acting under the advice of the U.S.A. and others in the Justice Department.

The censure would fit much better bases on what I have seen in the media and read.