Tuesday, January 31, 2006

110th Justice

EDITOR'S NOTE: I wish to express my condolences the the King family for the loss of Coretta Scott King, who died Monday night at age 78. This is a sad loss, and she, along with her Husband, will always be remembered.

Now to the Story . . .
Samuel Alito was confirmed by the U.S. Senate Tuesday, becoming the 110th Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, by securing almost 60 votes.

Alito was confirmed by a vote of 58 to 42. There are 55 Republicans, 44 Democrats, and One Republican -turned Independent. One Republican, Sen. Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island, voted against Alito, while Four Democrats, Sen. Robert Byrd of West Virginia, Sen. Tim Johnson of South Dakota, Sen. Ben Nelson of Nebraska, & Sen. Kent Conrad of North Dakota, voted for Alito. I couldn't find confirmation, but I think that Sen. Jim Jeffords, the Independent, voted against him.

Samuel Alito now faces an uphill battle for popularity. He is replacing Sandra Day O'Conner, the first woman and arguably the most influential person on the Supreme Court. While a majority, albeit not a huge one, voted for Alito, I believe many in the Senate are not crazy about him.

Alito can do a few different things. He can be exactly what President Bush wants him to be, which is someone that will turn the Court back to a far-right establishment, turning back LONG-established cases at will. However, that would be being loyal to the views of the President who nominated you, which isn't what you're supposed to do. You're supposed to put personal views aside and vote by what's right, not what you believe.

He can be like O'Conner, and hold true to the law. While there were many views and votes and views that I didn't agree with, I liked, along with most Americans, I liked how she voted most of the time. However, I don't Alito has the guts of knowledge to do so.

Or, he can be in-between. I realize that someone who doesn't fall to the graces of their political party, like O'Conner usually did, but I would like if he did sometimes, vote against his party, if it was in the best interest of the country. Some on the Court do vote along party lines, who of which were appointed by BOTH parties' Presidents. I think that Chief Justice Roberts MIGHT be able to be an in-betweener, but I don't think Justice Alito will be. While I could be wrong, and both end up like O'Conner, both could also end up always voting for what's best for the Republican Party.

I hope Alito won't screw up the country too much. Like I've said in a previous post, only time will tell . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All we can hope for is that Alito doesn't do too much damage.

Anonymous said...

Samuel Alito now faces an uphill battle for popularity.


And, if Alito is executing the duties of a Supreme Court Justice properly, why should he -- or any Justice -- be concerned about a Sandra Day O'Connor kind of popularity...?